Increase Your Ad Campaign Efficiency by Defining Your Buyer Personas
One of the simplest ways to increase your conversions and sales is to target your campaign to the right audience. In order to understand who that audience is, marketing professionals determine the characteristics of different buyer personas for a particular brand.
What is a ‘Buyer Persona?’
When marketing professionals want to understand what the ideal customer looks like for any business, they create a series of buyer personas. Buyer personas are hypothetical people that possess the characteristics of your ideal customers. These buyer personas will lay the groundwork for determining your target audience, greatly improving the efforts of your online marketing campaign. Everything from age and gender, to personality and background information is taken into consideration when creating buyer personas. The more detailed the buyer persona, the more precise the target audience, and the more you understand about who your customers are.
Knowing who your customers are is crucial for any business, and it helps direct your online marketing campaigns to the right people. An effective marketing team will create several different buyer personas to understand all possible types of customers for any business.
Determining the target audience of your product or service is not always obvious, and for this reason, thorough market research needs to be conducted. Various methods of gathering this information exist, let’s take a look at some of those methods.
Perhaps one of the most powerful online marketing tools for gathering information regarding a website’s performance is Google Analytics. This free tool allows marketing professionals to not only understand where traffic to the website is coming from, while also provides them with valuable information regarding website’s visitors. In addition, Google Analytics is a helpful tool in determining the success of online marketing efforts.
Social Media Analytics
Social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, now provide users with analytical data. ‘Facebook Insights’ shows highly useful information related to Facebook Business Pages. It provides clues into the demographics of a page’s visitors, while also showing how much engagement there is between your posts and your followers. Twitter users can also see similar information regarding their followers and their posts by using the free ‘Twitter Analytics’ tool.
For those companies that are utilizing several social media platforms, there are a variety of social media management programs available online, including Buffer and Hootsuite, though not all are free to use.
How to Develop Buyer Personas
Each ad agency has their own series of questions and criteria when creating buyer personas. There is no one way of doing it, and depending on the brand or product being sold, the buyer personas can range in specificity. At hand are a number of major identifying factors that are always considered when developing buyer personas for any brand. Let’s walk through a generalized process of developing buyer personas for your business.
- Create a list of questions
- The first step in developing your buyer personas is to create a list of questions that you will eventually answer about your ideal customer. The exact number of questions will vary based on the level of specificity you’re looking for and how detailed your buyer personas will be. When you are conducting research for your buyer personas, it’s helpful to have the set of questions in front of you. By doing so, you will understand your customer and their needs on a deeper level.
- Research your market
- The second step in determining your buyer personas requires that you research your market to decipher what demographic your product or service caters to. For instance, if you’re advertising babysitting services, then research the demographic data pertaining to individuals that need babysitting services. Although it may seem obvious that females aged 25-45 will be your primary demographic, doing the research will help you pinpoint not just the age and gender, but also the geographical areas with the highest searches for babysitting services. In addition, you will learn more about who your customers really are when you do the research. Understanding your customers can help your business in more ways than one.
- Answer the questions and mold your buyer personas
- After you’ve created the list of questions and conducted the necessary research, it’s time to answers those questions you came up with. Upon answering those questions a series of different buyer personas will be molded. Remember, these are hypothetical individuals with potential characteristics of your ideal customers. The more buyer personas you have, the more you understand your product and the consumers that pay for it.
Having several buyer personas prepared for your business is in itself a powerful tool. It not only allows you to understand who your customers are on a deeper level, it also helps direct your marketing towards the right crowd. Hire a professional and experienced digital marketing agency that will understand your customers.